DANISH RENZU - 10 Questions
10 Questions from the July 2014 Feature Screenplay Winner.
1. What is your SHORT SCRIPT about?
|WATCH Interview with the Writer
Loving, Dying or Being killed is a short film I want to make for the people of Kashmir. The theme revolves around the death of innocence. Posha and Gulzar, my main characters are two lovers caught in the middle of the ongoing convict in Kashmir, which they have nothing to do with. They only wanted to express their love to each other.
2. Why should your script be made into a film?
With media sharing becoming increasingly user-friendly and widespread, innumerable stories have surfaced and challenged many of society's assumptions about what is true. Although mainstream media continues to show bias in the representation of many issues related to Kashmir, journalists, writers, and filmmakers from around the world are exposing rarity that Kashmir is facing for years.Through this film I am doing my part to contribute to these efforts by trying to bring to light a very sensitive and overlooked issue through a love story.
3. How long have you been writing screenplays?
I have been working on various scripts since 2010. UCLA Writers' Program in Screenwriting is where it all started and ever since I have not stopped.
4. What movie have you seen the most in your life?
Romeo and Juliet- pretty much inspired me to write this short- Loving, Dying or Being Killed. I am huge fan of Iranian Director Majid Majidi. His films including The song of sparrows.
5. What artists would you love to work with?
Jennifer Lawrence, Shahrukh Khan & A.R. Rehman
6. How many stories/screenplays have you written?
I have written about 6-7 screenplays so far and I have many more stories that I will develop into screenplays soon.
7. Ideally, where would you like to be in 5 years?
Film Direction is my passion & I would like my upcoming feature film (Currently in script development ) made by then
8. Describe your process; do you have a set routine, method for writing?
I write whenever I can. There is no set routine or method. Whenever I have free time, I launch my final draft and start working on my scripts.
My biggest inspiration to write is reading other screenplays and watching films. Also, long vacations sometimes, when I have nothing in my mind helps a lot to come up with new ideas.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Film Directing. I want to direct the films I write.
10. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Script Contest?
Sharing your screenplay and receiving feedback from passionate group of individuals is any screenwriters dream.
11. Any advice or tips you'd like to pass on to other writers?
If you have a story idea but not sure. Don't worry too much. Just go and start writing. Screenwriting is all about practicing and rewriting.