GRIFF KOHOUT - 10 Questions
10 Questions from the February 2014 TV Screenplay Winner.
1. Why makes your NEW GIRL Spec Episode stand out from the rest of the TV SPEC Screenplays?
|WATCH Interview with the Writer
I think we did a decent job of capturing the voices & behavior of the characters, based various stories on pre-existing character traits and tried something a bit different with the silent film segment.
2. How long have you been writing screenplays?
3. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Seinfeld, Friends, Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Entourage, Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee, The Wire, How To Make It In America
4. What artists in the film industry would you love to work with?
Will Ferrell, Melissa McCarthy, Vince Vaughn, J.B. Smoove
5. How many screenplays have you written?
6. Ideally, where would you like to be in 5 years?
working in TV and hopefully also Film
7. Describe your process; do you have a set routine, method for writing?
We focus on the story/outline for awhile first, and don't move on to the script until we are very happy with it. Once on the script, dialogue gets reworked many, many times. Every line does, really. Stage direction, setting, et. Write, rewrite, rewrite some more.
8. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Basketball, Movies, Food, Music (Neil Young, Action Bronson)
9. What influenced you to enter the WILDsound Script Contest?
For the exposure and to see the script be brought to life by the actors.
10. Any advice or tips you'd like to pass on to other writers?
Keep writing and sending your stuff out to whoever will read it. Polish jokes until happy. Aim for concepts that you are excited about and will interest others.